Cooking with Bread / Thanksgiving
Great Harvest Stuffing Bread Stuffing:
Let us add just the right seasoning to your stuffing. Start with a loaf of Great Harvest Stuffing Bread!
1 loaf of Great Harvest Stuffing Bread
½ cup of Butter
1½ - 2 cups Chicken Broth or water reserved from Giblets (optional: crack 1 egg and stir into broth like Nana)
12 -16 pound Turkey
Slice the loaf into 2" cubes and store in a brown paper bag for 2-3 days before preparing stuffing (or you can dry in the oven for 3 hours at 200º). Place cubes in a large bowl and add in 1 stick of butter that has been cut into small pieces. Add enough chicken broth or giblet water to moisten cubes. (Optional: add chopped walnuts or dried cranberries for a mouth-watering feast.)
Place stuffing inside of turkey cavity and bake as normal
Or: coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with 1 tablespoon butter, place stuffing in prepared pan and bake at 350°F., uncovered, until top is lightly browned, about 50-60 minutes
Great Harvest White or Wheat Bread Stuffing:
- 10 cups unseasoned dry bread cubes, Great Harvest White or mix of Great Harvest Breads
- 2 cups walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground sage
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ - 2 cups chicken broth (optional: crack 1 egg and stir into broth like Nana)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place bread cubes, walnuts and cranberries in large bowl and set aside.
- Coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Melt remaining butter in skillet over medium-high heat and add celery and onions. Cook 4-5 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add parsley, ground sage, thyme, salt and pepper and mix well. Add mixture to bread cube mixture and toss to combine.
- Drizzle 1½ cups of the chicken broth over mixture in bowl, and stir to combine. Add more chicken broth and salt and pepper as desired.
- Place stuffing in prepared pan and bake, uncovered, until top is lightly browned, about 50-60 minutes.