Cooking with Bread / Old Fashioned White Bread
Great Harvest Stuffing Bread Stuffing:
Let us add just the right seasoning to your stuffing. Start with a loaf of Great Harvest Stuffing Bread!
1 loaf of Great Harvest Stuffing Bread
½ cup of Butter
1½ - 2 cups Chicken Broth or water reserved from Giblets (optional: crack 1 egg and stir into broth like Nana)
12 -16 pound Turkey
Slice the loaf into 2" cubes and store in a brown paper bag for 2-3 days before preparing stuffing (or you can dry in the oven for 3 hours at 200º). Place cubes in a large bowl and add in 1 stick of butter that has been cut into small pieces. Add enough chicken broth or giblet water to moisten cubes. (Optional: add chopped walnuts or dried cranberries for a mouth-watering feast.)
Place stuffing inside of turkey cavity and bake as normal
Or: coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with 1 tablespoon butter, place stuffing in prepared pan and bake at 350°F., uncovered, until top is lightly browned, about 50-60 minutes
Great Harvest White or Wheat Bread Stuffing:
- 10 cups unseasoned dry bread cubes, Great Harvest White or mix of Great Harvest Breads
- 2 cups walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground sage
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ - 2 cups chicken broth (optional: crack 1 egg and stir into broth like Nana)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place bread cubes, walnuts and cranberries in large bowl and set aside.
- Coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Melt remaining butter in skillet over medium-high heat and add celery and onions. Cook 4-5 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add parsley, ground sage, thyme, salt and pepper and mix well. Add mixture to bread cube mixture and toss to combine.
- Drizzle 1½ cups of the chicken broth over mixture in bowl, and stir to combine. Add more chicken broth and salt and pepper as desired.
- Place stuffing in prepared pan and bake, uncovered, until top is lightly browned, about 50-60 minutes.
As fall sets in, treat your family to Easy Tomato Soup with Cheddar Garlic Croutons
brown over medium heat for 15min:
1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS butter
1 medium onion or leek
add & cook for 1 min:
2 minced garlic cloves
add & cook for 30 minutes:
1 quart chicken stock
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
blend with emulsion blender
(or in small batches in regular blender)
salt & pepper to taste
serve with Cheddar Garlic Croutons or Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for dinner tonight !
Cheddar Garlic Croutons:
cube slices of Cheddar Garlic Bread from Great Harvest Bread Co. and bake at 350* for 15 minutes til golden brown
Grilled Cheese on Great Harvest White is the ultimate comfort food.
11 cups cubed, stale Great Harvest Cinnamon Chip or Cinnamon Swirl
3/4 c sugar
2 c cream
1 c milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 T butter
2 c powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-4 T milk
Grease 9x13 pan. Add bread cubes. (If your bread is not stale, place pan of bread in 180 degree oven and toss occasionally to dry out bread.) Whisk together sugar, eggs, cream, 1 cup milk, cinnamon, and vanilla in mixing bowl. Pour mixture over bread. Press down on bread crumbs to moisten. Refrigerate for about 2 hours. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until slightly golden and middle is set. Allow to cool slightly while you make the glaze. To make glaze, beat ingredients in mixing bowl adding milk as needed. Drizzle over slightly warm bread pudding. Serve warm or cold. Store in fridge.
Source: Make Your Taste Buds Dance Original Recipe